Now a day it is very common to hear people asking about gluten-free food whenever they go out to get something different to vary the menu. As far as we know, there are two reason why this number keeps growing: 1. They’re celiac; 2. They’ve just decided to go gluten-free. But so you know, more than a fashion diet, some of us take this very serious. At The Queen Pepiada we care about everyone being able to experience the Venezuelan food without any inconvenience. So, to let you know a bit more about why we decided to go gluten-free with the Queen from the very beginning, allow us to explain to you what gluten really is.
Gluten is a protein mainly found in the seeds of cereals like: wheat, oats, barley and rye. In other cases, gluten is also used by the food industry as an additive to add viscosity, thickness and volume to a large number of products like bread.
You must know that going free from this protein, in most cases, is not a choice made because it’s the latest fashion trend; the number of people suffering celiac disease, an autoimmune genetic disease, has become larger over time, they just can’t help having zero gluten tolerance. And here is the part that got us thinking about this important choice: we want everyone who visits our truck to be able to enjoy every bit of Caribbean flavor they can without having to think about the consequences of the ingredients, we just want to give every single one of you the full experience.
Besides thinking about how this benefits the celiac, we also want you to know that it could be really healthy for those who don’t suffer this disease too, to go gluten-free, as long as you know how to handle this kind of diet. Here are some benefits we’d love to share with you, in case you decide to go gluten-free someday:
- It facilitates the digestion of food in some cases.
- Improves your immune system.
- It helps fight injuries, allergies, asthma and inflammatory disorders.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- It can lower cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Capillary and cutaneous health flourishes.
- Antioxidants act against the effects of aging and degenerative diseases of age.
- Provides vitamins from the B group (B1, B2, B3 and B12). They slow the formation of plaque deposits in your arterial walls.
- It protects the intestinal villi, avoiding problems like anemia and osteoporosis.
- Eliminates long-term sequelae, for example: osteoporosis.
- Soluble fiber increases satiety and decelerates the absorption of glucose and cholesterol in your blood.
As you can see, going gluten-free might bring a lot of benefits into your life, but keep in mind that you can’t take it as the latest diet to lose weight, is more like going for a healthier choice. We highly recommend attending to a nutritionist first, if you do not suffer the celiac disease, to learn how to manage you daily diet without setting aside some of the benefits that you can also get by consuming gluten.
Now that you know all of this, remember that our decision to go gluten-free with the Queen has nothing to do with a fashion choice. We decided to do it so everyone who’s in the mood for something different and savory, like the Caribbean, could enjoy every bite of it. So, whether you’re celiac or not, come by our truck every time you catch us to enjoy los más ricos sabores latinos around the city. See you around!